Thursday, April 10, 2008

Life is unpredictable . . .

I love reading funny posts on blogs, especially when it involves kids. They can be so unpredictable and goofy! (My child is no exception.) So a few days ago I started thinking of something funny that I could post about Kaylee. I thought I would title it "so thankful" and do something like this:

I am so thankful for a daughter who knows what's important:

She loves to say her prayers and reminds us if we forget. She can't go to sleep without thanking Heavenly Father for the same million things each night. It is cute to listen to, though. :)



She also knows what's really important:



She doesn't quite know what to call these yet, and I'm avoiding telling her. Right now it's referred to as her chest. My mom thinks parents shouldn't sugar-coat the real name of body parts, but I'm not ready for her to embarrass me in public or at church when she will chose to use one of those words!

And that was going to be the end of my post. Then, we had one of those unpredictable moments last night and I knew what I was really thankful for:





This is my daughter, my-two-year old, in an ambulance. It is the last place a mother should ever be with her child. Kaylee is ok, but in a nutshell, here's what happened. She has been sick since Sunday. She woke up with a scratchy throat, a little coughing, and a small fever. She was breathing ok, but seemed she had to work to do it. We thought she was ok and we were sure it was something that would just need to run it's course. I slept by her for a couple of nights and Kirk gave her a blessing Monday night and she seemed better on Tuesday. Late Tuesday afternoon she was complaining of her throat hurting, so I decided to call her pediatrician. Once they heard her breathing over the phone they sent me to Urgent Care right away. We went there and they rushed her back and put her on a monitor. They took x-rays and thought it might be pneumonia. They gave her some breathing treatments and sent her by ambulance to the hospital. They told us she would probably have to stay overnight, but thank goodness she seemed to do well after another round of breathing treatments in the ER. We were finally able to go home around 11:00 pm. They diagnosed her with croup. She's had it before, but it wasn't near this bad.


Even though it wasn't an emergency, and the ambulance wasn't racing down the street flashing lights, it still scared me. I don't ever want to see my daughter like that again. On the bright side,
she is doing well today and getting back to her usual self. Now I can truly say that I know what I am thankful for!

7 comments:

Elisha said...

OH my gosh, that's so scary, Linds! I'm so glad she's okay now, though. Sometimes it sucks (emotionally) to be a parent. I miss you!

Kristy F. said...

Sorry to hear about Kaylee. That would scare me too. (But LOVE that picture of her, um, chest.)

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I am so glad Kaylee is okay and doing better now! I HATE having a sick kid - it is scary! If you ever need a good Dr. at an urgent care go to my brother's (East Valley Urgent Care)! And feel free to drop my name for better, faster service!

Traeger Tribe said...

How Scary! I'm so glad though that you guys got it taken care of - and I love the "chest" - she is so smart!!

Dennison Family said...

Oh my Goodness! Lindsay, I'm so sorry! How scary! I'm so glad she is ok! like you said, LOTS of things to be thankful for! Tyler said he HATES seeing babies/small kids come into the urgent care!

CiCi & PaPa said...

There's something I'm thankful for, too! It's having a beautiful grandaughter who gave me chills to see her in the hospital, but completely warms my heart when she says, "CiCi, I love you!"

HeidiT said...

hi Kirk and Lindsay!
My mom sent the link to your blog and we had to come and see!
Kieren says hi!! lol and hopes Kaylee gets better soon. :)
You can visit our blog if you want

ourlaughinplace.blobspot.com

Heidi